Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Island

This was a very interesting movie to say the least. While the cinematography was amazing, the plot was a little fuzzy. I had trouble following what was going on most of the time. After Anatoly shot the captain of his ship to save his own life, I felt the guilt he had for his actions seemed to drag on throughout the rest of the film. There was no other side plot or characters that lighted the mood. It was actually a bit depressing to watch. While I pitied for Anotoly, I also felt like he should have moved on with his life. Nobody should have to suffer 30 years of guilt for a past mistake. The phrase "what's done is done"echoed through my mind as I watched the plot unfold. It is unwise to waste energy on a past mistake that is unfixable. It is completely out of one's control.

I feel like the main theme the director wanted the audience to recognize while watching the film is recognize it's spiritual message. Towards the end of the film, I felt the cross had a symbolic message that represented Anatoly finally finding peace as Jesus did when he died on the cross for our sins. His repentance had finally paid off, even though on many levels, I found it very unnecessary. I just think 30 years is a bit of a stretch to feel bad about anything, but thats just my opinion. Overall, I thought it was a very interesting film. The cinematography was outstanding, but I thought it overshadowed the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment